When you want to make your home as energy-efficient as possible, the best way to start is with a professional home energy assessment. During your home energy audit, one of our specially trained Owens Corning™ Certified Energy Expert™ technicians will inspect your home carefully for areas of inefficiency. After your home energy audit, our technician will advise you on areas where energy efficiency can be improved to save you energy and money.
Schedule your home energy audit with Town Building Systems online or call us at 716-525-8910 today!
Lackawanna Home Energy Auditing
Most homeowners are curious to know: What is home energy auditing? A home energy assessment (or audit) is a type of home inspection that finds areas of energy waste in your home. Once the problem areas are identified, we explain how you can correct these home energy leaks and start shrinking your utility costs.
At Town Building Systems, we’re proud to be certified home energy assessors, trained by the experts at the Building Performance Institute. As certified home energy auditors, our team uses sophisticated equipment to measure and reveal spots where energy is escaping your home’s outer envelope (your boundary against the elements).
A home energy audit can uncover home energy wasters like:
- Air leakage lets the conditioned (warmed or cooled) air inside your home flow outdoors, where it does you no good. You’ve paid to warm or cool your indoor air, so it’s important to keep it in. Energy often escapes from attics or basements, and it can even leak around light switches or plumbing penetrations where pipes enter your home.
- Poor insulation is a common explanation for conditioned air being able to flow out of your house, wasting energy and compromising your home comfort. Your insulation may not be thick enough, or sometimes it’s the wrong type. Insulation may also be damaged from unseen roof/attic leaks. Wet insulation loses its effectiveness and settles, leaving certain areas of walls or ceilings unprotected.
- Faulty gas appliances, such as a furnace, gas cooking stove or clothes dryer, can lead to home energy loss. These combustion appliances should be checked annually for proper function and correct venting, to avoid hazardous gas leaks and with energy loss.
- And more.
How Do Home Energy Assessments Work for Lackawanna Homeowners?
When you schedule an energy assessment with Town Building Systems, our friendly and knowledgeable team will audit your home using a variety of energy efficiency tests and techniques.
A home energy auditing session commonly involves the following tasks:
- Blower door testing: This test mimics windy conditions, with a force of 20 mph blowing toward your home.
- Air leak inspection: We’ll examine typical areas where homes often leak air. These include attics, basements and the surfaces around door casings, window frames and plumbing pipe penetrations.
- Carbon monoxide testing: We will test for hazardous leaks from your furnace, water heater and other gas appliances. If appliances are working correctly and properly vented to expel gas fumes outdoors, you typically will not have leaks. You should still maintain CO detectors and smoke alarms in your home.
- Insulation check: We will measure insulation in your home’s walls and attic, also checking for adequate ventilation throughout.
- Wrap-up meeting and report: We will schedule time with you to review our findings and answer any home energy–efficiency questions. We can help you prioritize energy upgrades and repairs, so that you can do the most cost-effective fixes first. Some upgrades are simple, like adding caulk around windows to eliminate air leaks. We offer optional low-interest financing from HPwES (Home Performance with ENERGY STAR®) to help complete any major repairs.
Town Building Systems is an approved contractor for energy audit programs, which are available free of charge for income-eligible residents. Contact us online for information.
Schedule Your Home Energy Audit in the Lackawanna Area Today
Home energy assessments from Town Building Systems offer you the potential to save up to 30% on future energy bills. After the audit, we provide you with a list of upgrades, plus expert advice, to boost energy efficiency and eliminate waste at your Lackawanna home.
To schedule your energy audit in the Lackawanna, NY area, call Town Building Systems at 716-525-8910 or contact us online today!