Home Energy Audits in Buffalo, NY
Trying to figure out if energy, warmth and your hard-earned dollars are escaping from your home? Schedule a home energy assessment with Town Building Systems and we’ll tell you the areas in your home that could use improvement. Our energy assessment professionals are trained and certified by the Building Performance Institute. We are an Owens Corning™ Certified Energy Expert™ contractor for the western New York region.
What Is a Home Energy Audit?
A home energy audit is an assessment that can show you where your home is losing energy (and how you can save money). It uses tools and techniques such as the blower door test to give you an overall picture of your home’s energy efficiency. A home energy assessment can reveal issues such as:
- Air leaks –Air leaks can allow energy to escape from basements, attic and other areas in your home.
- Insufficient insulation levels –If your insulation levels aren’t thick enough, it may be time to re-insulate to help increase efficiency.
- Problems with combustion appliances (gas stoves, furnaces, etc.) – A faulty stove, furnace or other combustion appliance can be a significant source of energy loss in your home.
How Does an Energy Assessment Work?
When you schedule an energy assessment with Town Building Systems you can expect us to use a variety of techniques including the Blower Door Test. The Blower Door Test goes as follows:
- We’ll put up a blower door, which simulates a 20 MPH wind blowing against your home.
- Then we’ll check the windows, doors, your attic and basement to figure out where the leaks are.
- We’ll test for carbon monoxide as well as flue gases in the furnace and water tank.
- Next, we’ll measure the amount of insulation in your attic and walls and check for proper ventilation throughout your home.
- Finally, we’ll schedule a time to meet with you again to deliver the report, go over all of the energy-saving recommendations and answer any questions you may have. With optional low-interest financing from Home Performance with ENERGY STAR, we will work with you to select cost-effective energy upgrades for your home.
Town Building Systems is an approved contractor for energy-assessment programs that are completely free for income-eligible residents. Contact us online for more details.
Schedule Your Energy Audit in Buffalo Today
An energy audit is a good way to find out how to help enhance energy efficiency in your residential space. Town Building Systems can inspect and evaluate your home and determine the best areas for improvement to help save you money and energy.
Home Energy Audit FAQs
Can I conduct my own energy audit?
A professional home energy audit is the best way to determine your home’s energy efficiency and identify potential savings. However, homeowners can perform DIY energy audits by conducting a thorough walkthrough to identify potential problems. Using a checklist of inspected areas and identified problems, homeowners can prioritize any needed energy-efficiency upgrades.
What are signs that my home is not energy-efficient?
Uneven heating and cooling, increased energy spending, and system short-cycling are just some of the signs that indicate an energy efficiency problem.