Gutters are an indispensable component of your roof. They direct rain water away from your house and help prevent basement flooding and other moisture problems. Unfortunately, they are usually not given a second thought until an issue occurs! This is why maintenance/cleaning and occasional inspections are extremely important.
We’ve compiled a list of gutter stats and facts homeowners should know so they can be more familiar with these important roofing systems.
Gutter Facts Homeowners Should Read
- Gutters are available in several different materials—aluminum and copper are two of the most popular.
- Approximately 99% of all gutters are known to fail at some point even when they are properly fixed on the roof. It is advisable that you inspect your gutters every few months, especially after heavy rain.
- Common signs that your gutters require replacement are when they have been in place for between 15 to 20 years (older or malfunctioning gutters are more likely to clog and overflow with water).
- When there’s standing water in your gutters, you’re more likely to experience mosquito problems. Be extra careful about this during rainy times of the year. Nobody wants to deal with pests like this!
- Fall is one of the best times to install gutter guards or leaf screens, as gutters are prone to clogging this time of year. They are effective at helping to keep leaves and other debris at bay, ensure that moss and algae don’t grow on the inner surface of your gutters, and deter bugs and other small animals.
- Heated gutter systems help eliminate ice dams and the buildup of snow and prevent damage.
- Each year, there are more than 164,000 emergency room-treated injuries and 300 deaths in the U.S. that are caused by falls from ladders. This is why we don’t recommend DIY gutter repairs. Don’t hesitate to call a professional for help!
Gutter Installation & Repair in Buffalo, NY
Whether you need gutter repair, are interested in installing gutter guards or have concerns about your current gutters and want to replace them, turn to Town Building Systems. We provide top-notch gutter services throughout Buffalo and surrounding Upstate New York. Contact us today!